Blood Pressure Medications That Don’t Cause Erectile Dysfunction
- It is no secret that certain foods and medications can interact with or interfere in one’s erectile health. But, when we talk about blood pressure medications; that is something to be really careful about.
- There are several blood pressure medications that can cause erectile dysfunction or ED and several are that do not.
- Often, it is difficult to judge whether some blood pressure medication is good or bad for sexual health and erection.
- Well…not just blood pressure medications, there are other medications such as antidepressants, antihistamines, acid reflexes, and opined medications that could also contribute to ED.
- But, the thing is, not all out of these medications have an adverse effect on one’s erectile health; some of these help indeed.
- So, in this post, we will be discussing about these medications and what out of these you should consider avoiding and what you can still intake.
- Alongside, we will also discuss what ED is, it’s possible treatments, and why one should care about it.
Let’s get started!
Before we start…
- No doubt, there are some medications or drugs that could trigger erectile dysfunction in men.
- But, if you are prescribed such medicines and cannot stop their dosages; no worries, there are several ED treatments to help out.
- Well… you can always ask yourself; whether you really need to take such medication, and can you switch to another medication that does not develop erectile dysfunction. If you can, go for it.
- Or, you can also take a doctor’s help to know if there are some safe alternatives to medications that can cause ED.
- Do not hesitate to discuss your sexual health with a doctor; you are not alone to have erection issues.
What is ED and why should you care?
- ED, also known as erectile dysfunction or male impotence is a sexual disorder which makes it hard for a man to achieve and maintain an erection during sex.
- It commonly occurs with aging and due to inadequate blood flow to penile tissues also known as corpus cavernous.
- However there are certain physical and psychological factors that can develop ED, but some foods and medications that stimulate blood flow can also contribute to its occurrence.
- And, the reason why you should care about ED is, it is often an indicator to some blood flow related health disorder what is going inside you and you are not able to realize.
- A recent study suggested that over 77% of men with erectile dysfunction were also diagnosed with some heart or blood vessel disease.
- So, if you ever experience any ED symptoms, seek a doctor’s help as soon as possible.
What medications can cause ED?
As we mentioned earlier, not just blood pressure drugs but some other medications or drugs can also develop male erection issues.
These medications basically stimulate blood pressure and make it tough for a man to achieve and maintain a firm erection.
However, blood pressure drugs, especially water pills are more common to cause ED.
These other medications or drugs that could also cause ED include;
- Antidepressants: It is doubtless to say that depression is one of the major causes to low sex drive and ED. But, antidepressants are also found to affect erectile health even more by dropping blood pressure and reducing sexual drive. Some common antidepressants include; fluoxetine, citalopram, sertraline, paroxetine, and escitalopram.
- Acid reflux medications: Acid reflux drugs, also known as H2 blockers cause erectile dysfunction as it affects histamine. Some common acid refluxes are cimetidine, ranitidine, and famotidine.
- Antihistamines: As they name, antihistamines can block the working of histamines in the body. However histamine can cause allergic reactions but also helps have healthy erections. Some common antihistamines include; balladry, Dramamine, and Phenergan Oral.
- Opioids: Using opioid pain medications for a longer period of time can lower testosterone levels in the body and cause erectile dysfunction. Some common opioids include; hydrocodone, oxycodone, and morphine.
These are some types of medicines that could contribute to ED. However, there are several other medicines that can trigger ED as well; but, they are generally not likely to do so.
What blood pressure medications can cause ED?
However there are several medications and drugs that can cause ED, blood pressure drugs are more commonly the reason.
There are certain blood pressure medications that could develop erection issues in men; and such blood pressure medications that cause erectile dysfunction or ED include;
- Thiazide diuretics such as chlorothiazide, chlorthalidone, and hydrochlorothiazide.
- Loop diuretics such as furosemide, torsemide, and ethacrynic acid.
- Spironolactone, and
- Beta blockers such as acebutolol, atenolol, bisoprolol, metoprolol, nadolol, nebivolol, and propranolol.However beta-blockers are less likely to cause ED but sometimes they might.
These are some blood pressure drugs you should avoid or alternative to prevent and improve erectile dysfunction.
- Well, you must be wondering how these BP drugs develop erection issues. Generally, these drugs treat hypertension by dropping blood pressure. And, as you know, to be able to achieve and maintain an erection, adequate blood flow to penile tissues is essential.
- But, on regular consumption of these BP medicines, they reduce blood flow and begin to cause difficulty in getting or keeping an erection for intercourse.
What blood pressure medications don’t cause ED?
Like we said, not all blood pressure medications are supposed to develop male erection issues.
There are some BP medications that can still be used making sure they do not cause ED.
Blood pressure medications that do not cause erectile dysfunction or ED include;
- Alpha-blockers such as doxazosin, prazosin, and terazosin.
- ACE inhibitors such as lisinopril, benazepril, enalapril, quinapril, and ramipril.
- ARBs such as losartan, irbesartan, and valsartan.
- Calcium channel blockers such as amlodipine, diltiazem, verapamil, and nifedipine.
These are some BP medicines that do not often cause ED. But, it is always good to discuss with your doctor once before you start with any of these medications or drugs.
Other reasons that cause ED
There are certain physical and psychological factors that contribute in the development of male erection issues. Such reasons include;
- Physical conditions: There are a number of physical causes that affect one’s blood circulation and hence can develop issues to get or keep an erection during sex as well. Such physical conditions include; heart disease, diabetes, hormonal disorders, metabolic syndrome, nerve or spinal cord injuries, peyronie’s disease, hypertension, high cholesterol, low testosterone, and more.
- Psychological causes: Psychological disorders can lower sexual drive and make it difficult for one to attain and sustain an erection. Such causes include; stress, depression, performance anxiety, low self-esteem, guilt, and relationship problems.
- Smoking and alcohol:Smoking and alcohol consumption are found to have damaging effects on penile blood arteries. It can affect one’s sexual stimulation indeed.
These are some common reasons other than blood pressure medications or drugs that cause ED. With some healthy lifestyle habits, it is much possible to delay or prevent erection problems.
However it is more common to develop ED with aging, but it does not mean in any way that it is a part of aging; it can and should be treated.
Erectile dysfunction drugs and high blood pressure
- Well… if you are undergoing erectile dysfunction, you should be aware of common erectile dysfunction drugs used to help a man achieve and maintain an erection during sex.
- Now, if we talk about these ED drugs, they undoubtedly help improve male erections. But, do they work the same way if you are undergoing high blood pressure disorder or taking prescription medicines for it? Presumably not.
- Some common ED medications include Viagra 200 mg , Cialis 60 mg , Levitra 60 mg and Cenforce 200 mg . These prescription based oral medications are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat male erectile disorder.
- But, if these medications or drugs are taken in combination or some time before or after ED medication intake, it may cause uncertain side effects or health consequences.
- For example, if Viagra and blood pressure medication are taken together; they may dangerously drop blood pressure and pulse which can result in some serious health complications.
- High blood pressure is one of the causes or reasons that develop erection problems; but, one should make sure that he does not prefer BP drugs that make his ED even worse. Anyways, we have also mentioned some blood pressure medications that do not often cause ED.
Seeking a doctor’s help
- If it seems baffled or confusing for you to decide what BP or ED medications you should prefer, you can doubtlessly seek a doctor’s help.
- If you avoid doctors, you should not, because you are not alone who is struggling with male impotence or ED; millions others are, worldwide.
- You can ask a doctor to run a diagnosis and prescribe you some safe yet essential medication for your ED treatment.
- A doctor might also help you alternate between medicines so that you do not develop any unwanted risk factors or side effects.
- Moreover, make sure to be honest with your doctor. He or she is likely to prescribe you a medication or run a treatment on the basis of your health information you provide him with.
- Be open and true, try to make your doctor more closely about your problem so that he or she could come up with a more suitable treatment option.
- Like we said, there are certain blood pressure medications or drugs that cause erectile dysfunction or ED. But, not all of these medications are likely to develop such side effects or health consequences.
- There are some blood pressure medications that do not cause ED. If you are undergoing a prescription and feel if it is affecting your sexual performance, simply go for its alternatives.
Hope you liked the post. Do share and comment your views down below!